Saturday, June 15, 2013

What is God’s Will for my Life? Part 1


Have you ever been frustrated because you don't know which way to go…but you’re sure that you must go somewhere? God promises to show us the way:
·         “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you” (Psalms 32:8).
·          “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me” (John 10:27).
·          “Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it” (Isaiah 30:21).
·          “But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come” (John 16:13).

But why are you not hearing anything? Let’s start with a few questions first:

#1)  What is God teaching me in this period of waiting?
God is always teaching us through the joys and adversity of life. Sometimes the Lord is quiet for a season to develop our trust in His word. God speaks everyday through the Bible. At anytime you can open up the scriptures and read aloud what He is saying to you. Knowledge and application of God’s word is a vital part of hearing what the Lord is saying to you. 
“Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path” (Psalms 119:105).

#2)  Is there any sin in my life?
Many times we sin and keep going because we haven’t reflected over our day to see if we have offended the Lord or others with our words, actions, attitudes, or thoughts. Make it a habit to begin or end each day with a question to God: have I sinned against You? Be open to the Holy Spirit’s direction and assume responsibility for your sin.  
“If I had cherished sin in my heart, the Lord would not have listened”
 (Psalm 66:18).

#3)  Am I willing to be on God’s timetable and not mine?
We are so accustomed to having our way—the way we want, when we want it, and how we want it. Yet God has a master plan for each one of us with a purpose that is always bigger than our small time agenda. God moves in His own timing no matter what’s going on around us.
 “But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day” (2 Peter 3:8).

After you have prayerfully considered these questions, it will be time for you to take the next S-T-E-P-S in knowing what God’s will is for your life. Check out Part 2 so you will make the right move.

The New International Version. 2011. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan.

No comments:

Post a Comment